Thursday, May 04, 2006

Exit Strategy III

Exit Strategy III
Manipulated Digital Photo


This is my third version of Exit Strategy. The other two were lower-resolution and really weren't intended to be anything but examples for my high school Art I and II photoshop projects.

This version is my favorite, not only because of the better photo quality, but because of the details. The quote says "Many of us who walk to and fro upon our usual tasks are prisoners drawing mental maps of escape." The inspiration for this piece is kind of personal, but we make art about the things closest to our hearts, right? It's all about escapism. I'm not going to get into it on the personal level on here, but on a larger level, I do think that we are a society of escapists. Why deal with a problem if there is a way to get around it? A pill to take... a divorce... something you can buy to take its place... not that those things are innately bad, but when it gets easier to avoid a problem than it is to fix it or even preempt it, something's seriously wrong.

I'm thinking of doing a large, mixed-media version of this, on a canvas.

No comments: