Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Sunrise, Sunset



We have been having some really beautiful skies lately! Too bad there's no rain to be found... but I don't want to complain too much because I don't want to jinx the weather for the Black Walnut Festival in Spencer this weekend.


Because it's "Nut Time," things are definitely nuts around Casa de Chaos (my house.) There is so much going on right now -- everyone's off in totally different directions and I feel like I'm just caught in the middle. By week's end, the house will be full of guests for the Festival, and we'll all be running around like crazy trying to get to parades, activities, car shows, art shows, and football games. Luckily, I have been able to find a few quiet moments to sneak out and catch some nice photos.

The bottom photo was taken from the top of "Cemetary Hill," near where I live in Spencer. I was rushing home after helping to build my kids' school float for the Black Walnut Festival Parade. I had been running around all day trying to get insurance paperwork together and trying to get my son Joseph to a dentist because he had a toothache, and hadn't even had time to eat something all day -- let alone get quiet enough to actually feel relaxed for a moment.

Then I noticed the sunset. It was gorgeous! So I pulled the car over in the quietest place I know -- the old cemetary -- climbed up to the top of the highest point, parked myself beside an old tree, and watched the sun set for a few minutes. I was there maybe 15 minutes, tops, but it was so nice just to have that little micro-vacation in the middle of a busy day. The calming sounds of the wind, birds, and occasional traffic... the gorgeous purples and reds and golds in the sky... the perfect temperature of the evening air after a hot day... it was so nice!

I'm going to have to make this a regular part of my day. 15 minutes of sanity ... I can do that.

The top photo was taken from school. You can tell I took it from behind a window because the glass did weird things to the sun in the photo. Still, it was a gorgeous sunrise this morning and I couldn't pass up a photo op.



3 comments:

Mr. Chinchilla said...

Great photos! Have fun with the Festival, too.

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

Thank you, Mr. C! Hey, do Chinchillas like funnel cakes?

Mr. Chinchilla said...

I dunno about the other chinchillas, but I love me some funnel cakes!