Monday, October 01, 2007

Mark Jenkins




I have to admit, I'm a big fan of guerilla art. Yes, some people call it "vandalism," and in some cases, that's what it is, but in other cases (like with Mark Jenkins' art,) it's something like finding the prize in your box of Cracker Jacks. The art is so unexpected and fun that it becomes a surprise gift to the viewer. Jenkins' "storkers"-- casts of dolls made from packing tape and plastic wrap -- aren't harmful to others' property, and often carry with them an interesting bit of social commentary or visual irony.



My students are going to spend the next two weeks making packing tape sculptures and putting them together in an installation around the school to encourage recycling. I am excited to see what they come up with, and they are excited to get started with this fun project. If all goes well, we might take our show on the road and install the figures elsewhere in the city. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

JD Byrne said...

Those are incredibly freaky - I like 'em!

Rebecca said...

Have you seen Julian Beever's sidealk chalk drawings? Someone sent me an email the other day and they are fabulous. Let me know if you'd like it and I'll forward it to you!

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

Actually, yes I have seen Julian Beever's art -- he was here at Festivall this year. But if you have more pictures, send 'em my way! I'm always looking for art examples to use in class.