Monday, July 23, 2007

Big Day

Yesterday was the dedication of my installation project, and it was an exciting day, for sure! The installation is a meditation trail commissioned by the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston, and it consists of 14 tiled "mile markers" that depict the Stations of the Cross. This is my first ever commissioned project, and probably the biggest project I've ever done! I am really pleased with the way everything turned out, though. I had some great help -- some of my best students helped me throughout the project, and I couldn't have done it without them.

I was also commissioned at the same time to paint a mural in the balcony of the gymnasium at Camp Tygart (near Elkins, WV -- same location as the trail). That was completed last summer. The gym got a shiny new coat of red paint (to cover up the 1950s green, thankfully) and it really looks great. I didn't know anything about the gym being painted, but they did a fabulous job of painting around the mural. *whew!*






I got to meet some interesting people at the dinner, dedication and reception -- John Yelenic, the Superintendent of WV Catholic schools, and Bishop Michael Bransford, among many others. It was an awesome evening!


(That's my husband and unwitting assistant for the project, Mike, on the left, Bishop Michael Bransfield in the middle, and me on the right. Do I look nervous? I was. Really.)

I still have one more phase of this project to complete -- a huge 5-part painting to go in the camp's dining hall. The subject of this painting is the Sermon on the Mount. Funny, I've never done any religious art before this commission, but I'm really enjoying this project.

No comments: