Thursday, June 07, 2007

Artist Trading Cards


I've recently gotten interested in making and trading Artist Trading Cards. As silly as this sounds, it's actually a really cool thing. Artists make and trade these 2/5" X 3/5" cards, and collect them. I recently initiated a swap with some artist-friends, and these are some of the cards I made to trade with them (click on them for a bigger view.) I can't wait to see what they've all made. The cards will be stunning, I'm sure.
From what I understand, this seems to have sprung out of the Altered Book craze. It's sort of like scrapbooking, but without all the dorky, expensive doo-dads you buy at scrapbooking stores. :) (not that there's anything wrong with scrapbook supplies, I just really think it's more fun scrapping with nontraditional materials.) I have done some book-altering, but would like to get into it, more. It's addictive!
If you're interested in doing some altered books or artist trading cards of your own, or if you want some really neat stuff to scrapbook with, check out Mantofev. She has some really cool stuff in her store that you just can't find anywhere else, and it beats the heck out of cutesy scrapping supplies you find at craft stores.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That’s a great idea. As an artist, and having many artist friends I’ve always wanted small samples of their work to just admire and have. This is so simple but genius, I defiantly give you mad props and I have to start talking to my friends about this ASAP, no worries I’ll give you all the credit, haha. :) There is new deck of trading cards that are out called Hollywood Zombies that are made by the same folks that did the Garbage Pail Kids! You will be interested in them because they are hilarious and the art is amazing. They take A-list celebs, and even some B-listers, and draw them out to be the living dead. For a good laugh check out http://www.hollywoodzombies.com I just wanted to share this with you guys because I work with them!

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

Thanks, G! Actually, I didn't come up with the idea of Artist Trading Cards, but this is definitely a fun thing to do. You should get in on a trade!

I'll definitely check out the Hollywood ZOmbie cards! That sounds like a trip! I actually still have a few Garbage Pail Kids!