Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Amish School Shooting

This Amish school shooting has my stomach doing flip-flops. I used to work in a school where violence was a daily thing (not of this scale, thank God) and when I kept getting the e-mail updates on this story from CNN, all I could think about was "that could have been any school."

I think I hugged my own kids at least a million times last night. Funny how parenthood changes the way I take news like this. Before, I would shrug and say "what a bizarre thing to happen." Once kids came into the picture, though, everything became so connected.

How many kids in my own quiet school have a score to settle? How many adults who have dealt with this school have one, too? I can think of a few.

What is this, the 3rd deadly school shooting in a week? What's going on, here? It's not just schools. This sort of thing happens all the time, in different locations, but it's all the same thing. It's just that if it happens in an Amish one-room schoolhouse to children who have nothing to do with this guy's agenda, it can happen anywhere, to anyone.

Be nice to someone today. They might be on the verge.

No comments: