Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Corridor


This is the corridor outside my room. There used to be a lovely courtyard here, but they turned it into a big dining hall, leaving only a sliver of space for the windows.

At least they kept the windows, right? It's so strange, though -- there is so little natural light down here that at the end of the day, when I leave the building and go upstairs, I'm always surprised to find that it's actually sunny out.

I can't complain, though -- my classroom used to be the kitchen. Old kitchens make excellent art rooms, because they have huge, industrial sinks and shelves and lots of cabinets!

So, here it is, the second week of school. Tonight, I'm stuck here until late, late, late for Open House. I actually love Open House, though, because it gives me a chance to show off my program to parents. I usually have to defend it to one or two parents who think it's just a "fluff" class, or a "grade booster," but when I'm through with them, they usually get that this is definitely an academic class, and that there is a lot more to art than birdhouses and ashtrays.

I've done a few fun art pieces for myself this week, too. I'm not sure if I'm going to try to jury into Allied Artists this fall or wait 'til Spring, though. It's been a lot busier summer than I expected it to be, and I would feel more confident if I had a more consistent portfolio. *sigh* I might just have to wait until Spring.

No comments: