Thursday, July 20, 2006

New Art -- My oldest son



Isaac

9" X 11"
oil pastel on black paper

I did this first as a quick sketch using white prismacolor pencil on black paper, and it evolved into this portrait. I wanted the portrait bigger than the paper because I want the focus to be on Isaac's eyes. He is a very introspective, mature kid for his age, and he was just sitting there in the car with me, waiting for his grandma, asking me a million and one questions about making art. I went right to the art store and bought the boy a good sketch book and a pack of Prismacolors, and he's about got the sketchbook filled up, already. That's my boy!

I love this picture because it really captures his spirit. It's one thing to do a portrait of someone and say "oh, okay, that's so-and-so." But when you can draw a picture of a person and just imagine the picture coming alive and saying something that person would say or doing something that person would do, you've really done a portrait and not just a drawing.

This is my first serious portrait. I think I need to do more. Not sure I love the oil pastel on black paper, but it has a neat texture I want to experiment with further, at least.

1 comment:

Charlie Tee said...

Rebecca,, first of all let me thank you so much for stopping by my site and gracing it.Secondly, thank you for the nice sentiments, and lastly, thank you soooo much for adding me to your blogsite. I feel very privileged to be a part of your links and fans.
I really do love your art work, the one of your son is wonderful.It's great that he's following in your footsteps...
This blog thing has really taken off for me, I get so many responses now that I might have to hire someone to check my e-mail daily. Most people comment via e-mail which is fine, but I feel blessed that people have taken to it so.
Anyway, please do keep in touch, and I hope that you won't mind if I add you to my site as well.Take care.
lovingly,Charlie Tee :-)